Friday 17 April 2015

Knightshayes House and Gardens


I wrote yesterday that I wasn't going to write a garden blog this week and then I realised it was Annie's 100th How Does Your Garden Grow link up and I felt gutted to have missed it.  Fast forward a 24 hours and myself and the boys find ourselves at Knightshayes NT House and Gardens near Tiverton ... how could I not blog about these wonderful gardens?

I only have limited internet so you will have to enjoy more pictures than words but with beauty such as this to admire I am sure you won't mind:

Japanese Quince - Chaenomeles japonica


Part of the formal gardens with unusual gnarled Wisteria trees


Close-up of the Wisteria buds



A new plant on me that I think is Fraxinella, Dictamnus alba var. purpurea, unless anyone can tell me otherwise.



The Woodland Garden



Woodland ground flora



Orange is not just for Autumn - an Acer of some type


The fabulous walled garden.  When I win the lottery I am getting myself my very own walled garden ... and an army of workers to keep it looking how it should!

 

Finally I need your help - this plant is a mystery to me and I have not been able to find out what it is. It has thick leaves not dissimilar to Mimosa but much bigger and thicker and this weird almost cone like flower.  The leaves themselves were slightly scented but did not close up when stroked.  Has anyone got any ideas.  I may also contact Knightshayes and see if they can let me know as I really don't like not knowing what a plant is?



It was lovely to catch up with my friend Nicky who has also blogged about our day our here.  And there was also cake eaten.  Perhaps rather too much cake but this is The Cake Holiday ....

Joining in a bit late with Annie's 100th #HDYGG - do pop over and see where other gardeners have been or what is happening in their own gardens.



How Does Your Garden Grow

5 comments :

  1. Loving the quince - I have one of those flowering right now too - but no idea what the mystery plant is, but would be interested to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, no help in identifying the plant. I think with plant knowledge if you don't use it you loose it, I wish I could remember all I knew in the heady (or obsessional) gardening days pre-small children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the first photo is my favorite! such a lovely shade of red. very cool mystery plant - no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you love muffin! Thanks Rosie!
    You can't beat a good NT garden, and that walled garden is the stuff of my dreams. I have one wall in my garden and I like to imagine that that technically constitutes as my having a walled garden. Deluded as ever!
    I can't wait to see the wisterias out in bloom - I hope that you are having a grand time over here m'lady x

    Thanks for joining in again, over and above the call of HDYGG duty!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous garden. The wisteria buds look ready to pop. My garden is walled on one side and it's why I wanted to buy the house. I spend a lot of time trying to hide the fence on the other side of the garden.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.